U Visas

Getting Green card from U visa:

To apply for a green card as a U nonimmigrant, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You have been physically present in the United States for a continuous period of at least 3 years since the first date of admission as a U nonimmigrant and continue to hold that status at the time of application for adjustment of status.
  • You have not unreasonably refused to provide assistance in the criminal investigation or prosecution
  • You are not inadmissible under section 212(a)(3)(E) of the Immigration Nationality Act
  • You establish your presence in the United States is justified on humanitarian grounds, to ensure family unity or is in the public interest
  • Evidence that you complied with requests for assistance from law enforcement officials: The best evidence of this is a new Form I-918 Supplement B, which you obtained in order to receive U status when you applied. For more information on what this involves, read “What’s Needed for a U Certification of Helpfulness.” If you could not obtain one, you will need to provide an affidavit describing your attempts to contact law enforcement officials during your time in U status and a reason for any failure to comply with a request for cooperation.
  • Evidence that you “deserve” permanent residence: U-1 visa holders are not subject to a majority of the inadmissibility grounds that many others face when applying for a green card. However, because adjustment of status for U visa-holders is dependent on whether USCIS believes it is justified, you should be prepared to submit evidence that you should be granted a green card on humanitarian, public interest, or family unity grounds.